Doing a freezer inventory as part of my planning to have friends in for the evening, I found a shrimp ring that had been frozen for just a few weeks too long. The shrimp were still fine to eat, of course — just looking a little frost-bitten and rubbery.
Solution: buy a new shrimp ring for our guests, and turn the one from the freezer into a quick but slightly special lunch for the family.
Creamed Shrimp on Toast
- Sauté the shrimp in butter with about 2 Tablespoons each of diced onion and diced green pepper.
- Make up a batch of White Sauce in the microwave and add a splash of sherry at the last minute.
- Combine the sauce, shrimp, onion and green pepper, and simmer gently if needed to bring it all to serving temperature and blend the flavours.
- Spoon onto thick slices of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle with a little grated Swiss cheese and pop it under the broiler for a minute, just to melt the cheeses.